complete noob- 3 days lost in this thus far

Joseph Apuzzo japuzzo at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 13:51:47 EST 2004

Humm....
> i have an old pentium 1 200Mhz w/ a 4G HD, and i
> want it to feed filtered net traffic (antivirus,
> firewall, ip blocking) to this xp machine im on now
> so it doesnt use its cpu on those tasks. Id also
> like to offload filesharing onto it, such that i can
> share & download to network folders here.

Have you seen IPCop?
http://www.ipcop.org/

> so far ive figured out how to use rawrite, and that
> hda means the volumes first partition, and that
> reboot will restart the machine.
> ive looked at a few small distros, and some provide
> seemingly concise instructions, but when i get into
> it, i wind up completely lost. at the moment im
> trying to install puppy, and it wants me to first
> put parts of the iso on the hd,
> tiny linux had me using 14 floppies, and i got to
> where i could logon as root, but never got further
> because 12 of 14 disks didnt have the files on them
> the way it wanted.

As a Debian convert, I would have to say that the new
Debian installer should do the trick. You only need 4
Floppies and if you have a connection to the internet
( aka DSL or Cable ) you can easly install from there.

Docs:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apa.html
Floppies:

The advantage of Debian is that you can easly add
software right from the internet. Debian has the most
compleat set of "ready to install" apps.

> i could really use some advice here....fumbling
> through and figuring it out as i go along is proving
> to be a terrible time-sucker.
> im adept enough in windows to get through most
> anything- im just learning about networking, tho...
> i found your site yesterday, and someone in the irc
> told me id do well to use this meduim so here i am.
> thanks, everyone.

Welcome
I'm sure if all else fails, one ( or more ) of us
could hook you up with some install CD's at our next
meeting on Dec. 6

=====
Joseph Apuzzo
GNU/Linux Aficionado